Prognostic Criteria of Metabolic Syndrome Development in Children
Keywords:children, metabolic syndrome, hereditary risk factors
Introduction. The conduction of large-scale studies of metabolic syndrome (MS) prevalence in children and adolescents is complicated by the lack of consensus of opinion about the use of certain diagnostic criteria in pediatric practice. Objective: to examine the features of family history in children with overweight and obesity and establish their diagnostic and prognostic value. Material and methods. The study included 158 children (100 children with overweight and 58 children with obesity) and 70 children with normal body weight (control group). The results of research were analyzed using computer package «Statistica» StatSoft Inc. and Excel XP for Windows on a personal computer. Results. 32.7 % of children in the main group were hereditary taint on one diagnostic criteria of the MS, 30.4 % had two diagnostic criteria and 24.1 % had all the three criteria of MS, and the more excess body weight a child was suffering from, the greater was hereditary taint on the number of metabolic syndrome criteria (p < 0.05). In the control group of children, hereditary tainted on cardiovascular disease risk factors were 17.2 % — for obesity, 18.9 % — for hypertension, 17.2 % — for ischemic heart disease and 6.8 % — for carbohydrate metabolism disorders. Conclusions. 1. In 32.7 % of cases children were hereditary tainted on one diagnostic criterion of metabolic syndrome, 30.4 % patients had two and 24.1% children had all the three criteria of MS. 2. Presence of a positive family history of the child significantly increases the risk of child’s obesity: PR = 10.59 (95% CI: 3.81–31.79) at ER = 1.68 (95 % CI: 1.43–1.82).
Балыкова Л.А. Лечение метаболического синдрома у детей и подростков / Л.А. Балыкова, О.М. Солдатов, Е.С. Самошкина, А.А. Самошкина // Педиатрия. — 2011. — Т. 90, № 2. — С. 88-95.
Васюкова О.В. Инсулинорезистентность при ожирении у детей: спорность оценки / О.В. Васюкова, А.В. Витебская // Проблемы эндокринологии. — 2009. — Т. 55, № 3.
Полубояринова И.В. Антропометрические, метаболические и гормональные особенности течения ожирения, дебютировавшего в детском, подростковом и репродуктивном возрасте / И.В. Полубояринова // Международый эндокринологический журнал. — 2010. — № 3(27). — С. 22-27.
Протоколи надання медичної допомоги дітям за спеціальністю «Дитяча ендокринологія». Наказ № 254 від 27.04.2006.
Сенаторова Г.С. Метаболічні та гемодинамічні аспекти кардіоваскулярного ризику у підлітків з надлишковою вагою та ожирінням / Г.С. Сенаторова, Т.В. Чайченко // Перинатология и педиатрия. — 2012. — № 2. — С. 101-106.
Томашевська О.Я., Дзісь Є.І. Метаболічний синдром: підходи до діагностики, лікування та реабілітації / О.Я. Томашевська, Є.І. Дзісь // Журнал АМН України. — 2006. — Т. 12, № 2. — С. 282-295.
Аndrabi S.M.S. Prevalence of MS in 8–18 year old school-going children of Srinagar City of Kashmir India / S.M.S. Аndrabi, M.H. Bhat, S.R.S. Andrabi [et al.] // Ind. J. Endocrinol. Metab. — 2013. — 17(1). — 95-100.
Eiland L.S. Use of statins for dyslipidemia in the pediatric population / L.S. Eiland, P.K. Luttrell // JPPT. — 2010. — 15(3). — 160-172.
IDF Epidemiology Task Force Consensus GrouP. The metabolic syndrome a new worldwide definition / K.G. Alberti, P. Zimmet, J. Shaw [et al.] / Lancet. — 2005. — Vol. 366. — P. 1059-1062.
Reilly J.J. Obesity in childhood and adolescence: evidence based clinical and public health perspectives / J.J. Reilly // Postgrad. Med. J. — 2006. — 82(969). — 429-437.
Zimmet P. IDF Consensus. The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents — an IDF consensus report [Text] / P. Zimmet, K.G. Alberti, F.T. Kaufman [et al.] // Pediat. Diabetes. — 2007. — 5. — 299-306.
Copyright (c) 2016 T.V. Sorokman, М.-О.V. Popeliuk, К.Yu. Ushakova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.