Pulmonary lesions in visceral toxocariasis in children in the phthisiatric practice (clinical case)
Keywords:toxocariasis, children, tuberculosis
Background. The clinical and radiological picture of pulmonary tuberculosis has many common features with a large number of diseases. Therefore, differential diagnosis is very important when detecting tuberculosis. The purpose of the work: on the example of a clinical case to present the complexity of the differential diagnosis between pulmonary lesion in visceral toxocariasis and tuberculosis in children. Results. The child was diagnosed with an infiltrate in the third segment of the left lung with lesions of the intrathoracic lymph nodes, which is characteristic of the primary tuberculosis. The volatility of the infiltrate was not determined. All general blood test hadn’t shown an increase in eosinophils and white blood cells. According to the literature data, the appearance of persistent and prolonged eosinophilia with the development of eosinophilic leukemoid reactions of the blood, an increase in the level of leukocytes are the main and one of the constant manifestations of toxocariasis. The child was diagnosed with moderate hepatomegaly, which is characteristic for both diseases. The patient was registered at a pediatric tuberculosis clinic due to a shift in tuberculin tests. At the time of hospitalization, there were not reasons to suspect visceral toxocariasis. Due to the examination data, first of all the absence of bacterial excretion and negative tuberculin tests, and the presence in the child’s house of the dogs and cats, it was decided to recommend the consultation of the infectionist to exclude any parasitic disease. At the end, the correct diagnosis was established in this child at time and the necessary treatment was prescribed. Conclusions. This clinical case demonstrates the difficulties of differential diagnosis of visceral toxocariasis in lung lesion and tuberculosis. First of all, this is due to the asymptomatic clinical picture of toxocariasis, the diagnosis of which was established by X-ray data, blood test for IgG antibodies to Toxocara and epidemiological history. Given the fact that toxocariasis includes a large spectrum of masks of various diseases, and children who are infected by Toxocara do not have specific clinical symptoms, doctors should remember to prescribe the additional examination for the presence of parasitic diseases, including toxocariasis, especially if pets live in the child’s home.
Daré LO, Bruand PE, Gérard D, et al. Associations of mental disorders and neurotropic parasitic diseases: a meta-analysis in developing and emerging countries. BMC Public Health. 2019 Dec 5;19(1):1645. doi:10.1186/s12889-019-7933-4.
Yershova IB, Mochalova HO, Lokhmatova IA, Manashova MH, Petrenko OV. Nonspecific manifestations of helminthiasis in children. Zdorov'e rebenka. 2015;(68):45-49. doi:10.22141/2224-05126.96.36.1995.75154. (in Ukrainian).
Dralova AA, Usachova OV, Silina EA, Konakova OV. The modern view on the problem of toxocariasis infestations in children (literature review). Sovremennaya Pediatriya. 2017;(83):53-61. doi:10.15574/SP.2017.83.53. (in Ukrainian).
Faz-López B, Mayoral-Reyes H, Hernández-Pando R, et al. A Dual Role for Macrophages in Modulating Lung Tissue Damage/Repair during L2 Toxocara canis Infection. Pathogens. 2019 Dec 2;8(4):280. doi:10.3390/pathogens8040280.
Moisieieva NV, Kapustianska AA, Vakhnenko AV, Rumyantseva MO, Kulyk LG. Toxocariasis: modern aspects of issue. Actual Problems of the Modern Medicine: Bulletin of Ukrainian Medical Stomatological Academy. 2017;(60):272-277. (in Ukrainian).
Park BM, Jeong SO, Park HS, et al. Differences in the clinical and radiological characteristics of lung-involved toxocariasis between toxocariasis with eosinophilia and those without eosinophilia. J Thorac Dis. 2014 Dec;6(12):1757-1764. doi:10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2014.12.24.
Ivanova LA, Shevchuk NM, Guk LI. Visceral toxocariasis in adolescents: experience in the treatment using Aldazole (clinical case). Zdorov'e rebenka. 2016;(73):143-146. doi:10.22141/2224-05188.8.131.526.78318. (in Ukrainian).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.