A case of late diagnosis of a foreign body in bronchus in a child
Keywords:bronchial foreign bodies, children, clinical case
AbstractRespiratory foreign bodies are a fairly common and dangerous problem in pediatrics. According to the literature, 70 % of all cases are foreign bodies of the bronchi, most often in the right (up to 80 %). Diagnosis is based mainly on anamnestic data and clinical manifestations characteristic of a particular type of obstruction. X-ray examinations are performed in all cases of suspicion of a foreign body, but they are X-ray contrast in no more than 20 % of cases. That is if the fact of aspiration was forgotten or unnoticed, the diagnosis is difficult, especially with foreign bodies in small bronchi, which for a long time do not manifest themselves. Clinical signs already appear when chronic inflammation with a purulent process develops in this place, which leads to the complications — bronchiectasis, fibrosis, or pulmonary hemorrhage. At the same time treatment is often only operative. For clarity, we present a clinical case of late diagnosis of a small bronchial foreign body in an adolescent child. Its features are as follows: lack of anamnestic data on aspiration, relatively adult age of the child, X-ray non-contrast of a foreign body, atypical placement, preserved lung ventilation in the damaged area. This case once again emphasizes the need for vigilance of pediatricians regarding this pathology in children of any age. The only reliable method of early diagnosis of airway foreign bodies is tracheobronchoscopy.
Ministry of Нealth of Ukraine. Order on January 15, 2016 № 34. On Approval and Implementation of Medical and Technological Documents on the Standardization of Emergency Medical Care. Available from: https://ips.ligazakon.net/document/MOZ21887 . Accessed: January 15, 2016. (in Ukrainian).
Soldatov ІB, Gofman VR. Otorinolaringologіia [Otorhinolaryngology]. SPb: ELBI; 2000. 472 p. (in Russian).
Grebnev PN, Rokitskii MR, Mikheev SA, Fatykhov IuI, Rashitov LF, Mukhametzianov RM. Diagnostic and treatment-tactical programs for foreign bodies in children. Practical medicine. 2003;(1):25-28. (in Russian).
Zabolotnyj DI, Mitin JuV, Bezshapochnyj SB, Djejeva JuV. Otorynolaryngologija [Otorhinolaryngology]. Kyiv: Medycyna; 2010. 471 p. (in Ukrainian).
Copyright (c) 2020 O.O. Rechkina, O.M. Kravtsova, N.V. Promska, M.S. Opanasenko, O.V. Tereshkovych, O.I. Shpak, L.I. Levanda
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.