New therapeutic opportunities of phytopreparations in the treatment of acute respiratory infections in children
Keywords:phytopreparation, acute respiratory infections, cough, children, symptomatic therapy
AbstractWe consider it is reasonable to use symptomatic therapy in all cases of uncomplicated acute respiratory viral infections, which are self-eliminating diseases. Herbal preparations is an important part of such treatment in children who suffer from acute respiratory diseases, but only in case of using those herbal products that have a high efficacy and safety profile. This article provides new data on polyvalent (antiviral, antimicrobial, immunostimulating and antitussive) properties of EUCABAL® herbal remedies in the treatment of acute respiratory infections in children.
Ács K, Balázs VL, Kocsis B, Bencsik T, Böszörményi A, Horváth G. Antibacterial activity evaluation of selected essential oils in liquid and vapor phase on respiratory tract pathogens. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018 Jul 27;18(1):227. doi: 10.1186/s12906-018-2291-9.
Agiro A, Gautam S, Wall E, et al. Variation in Outpatient Antibiotic Dispensing for Respiratory Infections in Children by Clinician Specialty and Treatment Setting. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2018 Dec;37(12):1248-1254. doi: 10.1097/INF.0000000000002004.
Anheyer D, Cramer H, Lauche R, Saha FJ, Dobos G. Herbal Medicine in Children With Respiratory Tract Infection: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Acad Pediatr. 2018 Jan - Feb;18(1):8-19. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2017.06.006.
Bou-Antoun S, Costelloe C, Honeyford K, et al. Age-related decline in antibiotic prescribing for uncomplicated respiratory tract infections in primary care in England following the introduction of a national financial incentive (the Quality Premium) for health commissioners to reduce use of antibiotics in the community: an interrupted time series analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018 Oct 1;73(10):2883-2892. doi: 10.1093/jac/dky237.
De Moura Sperotto ND, Steffens L, Veríssimo RM, et al. Wound healing and anti-inflammatory activities induced by a Plantago australis hydroethanolic extract standardized in verbascoside. J Ethnopharmacol. 2018 Oct 28;225:178-188. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2018.07.012.
Fakhrudin N, Dwi Astuti E, Sulistyawati R, et al. n-Hexane Insoluble Fraction of Plantago lanceolata Exerts Anti-Inflammatory Activity in Mice by Inhibiting Cyclooxygenase-2 and Reducing Chemokines Levels. Sci Pharm. 2017 Mar 13;85(1). pii: E12. doi: 10.3390/scipharm85010012.
Galasso S, Pacifico S, Kretschmer N, et al. Influence of seasonal variation on Thymus longicaulis C. Presl chemical composition and its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Phytochemistry. 2014 Nov;107:80-90. doi: 10.1016/j.phytochem.2014.08.015.
Ganesan D, Al-Sayed E, Albert A, et al. Antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds from extracts of Eucalyptus globulus and Melaleuca styphelioides and their protective role on D-glucose-induced hyperglycemic stress and oxalate stress in NRK-49Fcells. Nat Prod Res. 2018 Jun;32(11):1274-1280. doi: 10.1080/14786419.2017.1343324.
González-Burgos E, Liaudanskas M, Viškelis J, et al. Antioxidant activity, neuroprotective properties and bioactive constituents analysis of varying polarity extracts from Eucalyptus globulus leaves. J Food Drug Anal. 2018 Oct;26(4):1293-1302. doi: 10.1016/j.jfda.2018.05.010.
Henn JG, Steffens L, de Moura Sperotto ND, et al. Toxicological evaluation of a standardized hydroethanolic extract from leaves of Plantago australis and its major compound, verbascoside. J Ethnopharmacol. 2019 Jan 30;229:145-156. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2018.10.003.
Houdkova M, Rondevaldova J, Doskocil I, Kokoska L. Evaluation of antibacterial potential and toxicity of plant volatile compounds using new broth microdilution volatilization method and modified MTT assay. Fitoterapia. 2017 Apr;118:56-62. doi: 10.1016/j.fitote.2017.02.008.
Kalantari A, Kósa D, Nemes D, et al. Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery Systems Containing Plantago lanceolata-An Assessment of Their Antioxidant and Antiinflammatory Effects. Molecules. 2017 Oct 20;22(10). pii: E1773. doi: 10.3390/molecules22101773.
Lemos ICS, Delmondes GA, Dos Santos ADF, et al. Ethnobiological survey of plants and animals used for the treatment of acute respiratory infections in children of a traditional community in the municipality of barbalha, ceará, Brazil. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2016 Jul 3;13(4):166-175. doi: 10.21010/ajtcam.v13i4.22.
Öztürk N. Phenolic composition and antioxidant activity of the different extracts from Thymus longicaulis C Presl. subsp. longicaulis var. longicaulis and T. longicaulis C. Presl. subsp. longicaulis var. subisophyllus growing in Turkey. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2015 Mar;28(2):465-72. doi:10.1080/10412905.1992.9698070.
Peng XM, Gao L, Huo SX, Liu XM, Yan M. The Mechanism of Memory Enhancement of Acteoside (Verbascoside) in the Senescent Mouse Model Induced by a Combination of D-gal and AlCl3. Phytother Res. 2015 Aug;29(8):1137-44. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5358.
Schmidt E, Wanner J, Hiiferl, et al. Chemical composition, olfactory analysis and antibacterial activity of Thymus vulgaris chemotypes geraniol, 4-thujanol/terpinen-4-ol, thymol and linalool cultivated in southern France. Nat Prod Commun. 2012 Aug;7(8):1095-8.
Spurling GK, Del Mar CB, Dooley L, Foxlee R, Farley R. Delayed antibiotic prescriptions for respiratory infections. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017 Sep 7;9:CD004417. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD004417.pub5.
Xiong L, Mao S, Lu B, et al. Osmanthus fragrans Flower Extract and Acteoside Protect Against d-Galactose-Induced Aging in an ICR Mouse Model. J Med Food. 2016 Jan;19(1):54-61. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2015.3462.
Copyright (c) 2019 E.A. Agafonova, A.А. Nikulina, L.L. Petrenko, E.P. Shlenchak
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.