Drug management of oxidation-reduction state of the body in respiratory tract diseases (part 6)
Keywords:diseases of the respiratory system, antioxidant system, drug management, review
The review of the literature presents modern data on antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity of polyphenols, as well as their representatives curcumin and resveratrol in diseases of the respiratory system.
Abaturov AE, Volosovets AP, Borysova TP. Drug management of oxidation-reduction state of the body in respiratory tract diseases (part 1). Zdorov`e rebenka. 2018;13(2):232-240. doi: 10.22141/2224-05184.108.40.2068.129558. (in Russian).
Abaturov AE, Volosovets AP, Borysova TP. Drug management of oxidation-reduction state of the body in respiratory tract diseases (part 2). Zdorov`e rebenka. 2018;13(3):334-337. doi: 10.22141/2224-05220.127.116.118.132918. (in Russian).
Abaturov AE, Volosovets AP, Borysova TP. Drug management of oxidation-reduction state of the body in respiratory tract diseases (part 3). Zdorov`e rebenka. 2018;13(5):539-544. doi: 10.22141/2224-0518.104.22.1688.141574. (in Russian).
Abaturov AE, Volosovets AP, Borysova TP. Drug management of oxidation-reduction state of the body in respiratory tract diseases (part 4). Zdorov`e rebenka. 2018;13(6):616-620. doi: 10.22141/2224-0522.214.171.1248.143169. (in Russian).
Abaturov AE, Volosovets AP, Borysova TP. Drug management of oxidation-reduction state of the body in respiratory tract diseases (part 5). Zdorov`e rebenka. 2018;13(7):710-716. doi: 10.22141/2224-05126.96.36.1998.148926. (in Russian).
Chervyakovsky EM, Kurchenko VP, Kostyuk VA. The role of flavonoids in biological reactions with electron transfer. Works of the Belarusian State University. 2009;4(1). Available from: http://www.bio.bsu.by/proceedings/?act=7&id=1. (in Russian).
Aggarwal BB, Sung B. Pharmacological basis for the role of curcumin in chronic diseases: an age-old spice with modern targets. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2009 Feb;30(2):85-94. doi: 10.1016/j.tips.2008.11.002.
Zhang D, Huang C, Yang C, Liu RJ, Wang J, Niu J, Brömme D. Antifibrotic effects of curcumin are associated with overexpression of cathepsins K and L in bleomycin treated mice and human fibroblasts. Respir Res. 2011 Nov 29;12:154. doi: 10.1186/1465-9921-12-154.
Karaman M, Firinci F, Cilaker S, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of curcumin in a murine model of chronic asthma. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2012 Jul-Aug;40(4):210-4. doi: 10.1016/j.aller.2011.04.006.
Frombaum M, Le Clanche S, Bonnefont-Rousselot D, Borderie D. Antioxidant effects of resveratrol and other stilbene derivatives on oxidative stress and *NO bioavailability: Potential benefits to cardiovascular diseases. Biochimie. 2012 Feb;94(2):269-76. doi: 10.1016/j.biochi.2011.11.001.
Sakurai R, Li Y, Torday JS, Rehan VK. Curcumin augments lung maturation, preventing neonatal lung injury by inhibiting TGF-β signaling. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2011 Nov;301(5):L721-30. doi: 10.1152/ajplung.00076.2011.
Lee JH, Kim JW, Ko NY, et al. Curcumin, a constituent of curry, suppresses IgE-mediated allergic response and mast cell activation at the level of Syk. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008 May;121(5):1225-31. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2007.12.1160.
Wang W, Zhu R, Xie Q, et al. Enhanced bioavailability and efficiency of curcumin for the treatment of asthma by its formulation in solid lipid nanoparticles. Int J Nanomedicine. 2012;7:3667-77. doi: 10.2147/IJN.S30428.
Hou DX, Kumamoto T. Flavonoids as protein kinase inhibitors for cancer chemoprevention: direct binding and molecular modeling. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2010 Sep 1;13(5):691-719. doi: 10.1089/ars.2009.2816.
Kovacic P, Somanathan R. Multifaceted approach to resveratrol bioactivity: Focus on antioxidant action, cell signaling and safety. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2010 Mar-Apr;3(2):86-100. doi: 10.4161/oxim.3.2.11147.
Nemmar A, Subramaniyan D, Ali BH. Protective effect of curcumin on pulmonary and cardiovascular effects induced by repeated exposure to diesel exhaust particles in mice. PLoS One. 2012;7(6):e39554. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0039554.
Davinelli S, Sapere N, Zella D, Bracale R, Intrieri M, Scapagnini G. Pleiotropic protective effects of phytochemicals in Alzheimer's disease. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2012;2012:386527. doi: 10.1155/2012/386527.
Singh PP, Chandra A, Mahdi F, Roy A, Sharma P. Reconvene and reconnect the antioxidant hypothesis in human health and disease. Indian J Clin Biochem. 2010 Jul;25(3):225-43. doi: 10.1007/s12291-010-0078-y.
Chung S, Yao H, Caito S, Hwang JW, Arunachalam G, Rahman I. Regulation of SIRT1 in cellular functions: role of polyphenols. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2010 Sep 1;501(1):79-90. doi: 10.1016/j.abb.2010.05.003.
Hadi SM, Ullah MF, Azmi AS, et al. Resveratrol mobilizes endogenous copper in human peripheral lymphocytes leading to oxidativeDNA breakage: a putative mechanism for chemoprevention of cancer. Pharm Res. 2010 Jun;27(6):979-88. doi: 10.1007/s11095-010-0055-4.
Kode A, Rajendrasozhan S, Caito S, Yang SR, Megson IL, Rahman I. Resveratrol induces glutathione synthesis by activation of Nrf2 and protects against cigarette smoke-mediated oxidative stress in human lung epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008 Mar;294(3):L478-88. doi: 10.1152/ajplung.00361.2007.
Roy S, Sannigrahi S, Majumdar S, Ghosh B, Sarkar B. Resveratrol regulates antioxidant status, inhibits cytokine expression and restricts apoptosis in carbon tetrachloride induced rat hepatic injury. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2011;2011:703676. doi: 10.1155/2011/703676.
Rajendran R, Garva R, Krstic-Demonacos M, Demonacos C. Sirtuins: molecular traffic lights in the crossroad of oxidative stress, chromatin remodeling, and transcription. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2011;2011:368276. doi: 10.1155/2011/368276.
Spencer JP. Beyond antioxidants: the cellular and molecular interactions of flavonoids and how these underpin their actions on the brain. Proc Nutr Soc. 2010 May;69(2):244-60. doi: 10.1017/S0029665110000054.
Narumoto O, Matsuo Y, Sakaguchi M, et al. Suppressive effects of a pyrazole derivative of curcumin on airway inflammation and remodeling. Exp Mol Pathol. 2012 Aug;93(1):18-25. doi: 10.1016/j.yexmp.2012.04.011.
Izzi V, Masuelli L, Tresoldi I, Sacchetti P, Modesti A, Galvano F, Bei R. The effects of dietary flavonoids on the regulation of redox inflammatory networks. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2012 Jun 1;17:2396-418.
Vauzour D. Dietary polyphenols as modulators of brain functions: biological actions and molecular mechanisms underpinning their beneficial effects. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2012;2012:914273. doi: 10.1155/2012/914273.
Yao H, Rahman I. Current concepts on oxidative/carbonyl stress, inflammation and epigenetics in pathogenesis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011 Jul 15;254(2):72-85. doi: 10.1016/j.taap.2009.10.022.
Copyright (c) 2018 A.E. Abaturov, A.P. Volosovets, T.P. Borysova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.